Wednesday, 3 June 2015

A New Hobby

Towards the end of last year, I started to teach myself something new. I've always love embroidery and have always wanted to give it a try. I was wary at the start since I didn't know anyone who could teach me. (My mother is much more into knitting, which is already something I've been learning from her) So I decided to just take the plunge and learn from my own experiences. 


The first thing I tried was a cute tricolour ribbon on a beret. Don't even ask why I thought this would be a good starting point, because I really don't think it was a good choice in hindsight! Initially it was just a bow without the tails at first but when I finished, I realised the bow wasn't centred on the rim so I added some tails! It took me roughly 3 days on off at a leisurely pace to complete it. Not too shabby for my first attempt, right?


I moved onto some small toadstools which I left for so long but recently turned it into a tiny little brooch. My next project was something I really wanted to make when I started but decided to familiarise myself with embroidery first. I drew out plenty of designs for this, but settled for one based mostly on the Laduree design - une religieuse violette. This took me the longest to finish. I started this around Christmas last year and finished it in late April. I was just a little demotivated (and lazy, really). But I was rather happy with the result that I continued to make more sweet related designs. This little pastel macaron tower took me just one night to finish! I drew a quick design, played around with the colour order and got straight to stitching. It was a rather simple design but I really love it. And it matches one of my dream dresses perfectly! 


Then a crown I designed and turned into a rosette to match my Victorian Tassel print. All up, this project took a few hours a day for 2 days to complete including pleating the ribbon by hand and turning it into a rosette. I really loved seeing the progress made after just a short time.



My latest little project is perhaps the one I'm most proud of. The shape was really simple but this time, I tried to do something with realistic with shading. I was using 5 different needles at the one time and trust me, it was very confusing. But I remained patient for the 3 days it took to complete this one. And I was so, so pleased with the results. Actually my sister loved it SO much I turned it into a rosette and gifted it to her. I made an inverse one for myself though I think I prefer the red gingham and blue ribbon better.

Currently I'm working on a pastel tricolour ribbon. It's just something simple to work on and practise stitching while I work on designing a few other things at the same time. I have also been thinking of making a few to sell! I didn't want to put too much pressure on myself since it started just as a hobby for myself but I received really encouraging feedback and interest in them. If you are interested in anything I've made so far, please drop me a comment below!!

10 comments:

  1. All these pieces are really pretty! I admire your patience in doing this and the results are superb :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad to hear your thoughts! <3

      Delete
  2. I used to do embroidery too, it's fun isn't it? Yours looks really perfect, for what it's worth ^_^

    { sparklesideup.com }

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? That's so cool! Yess I'm really enjoying it now :D Thank you so much! <3<3

      Delete
  3. Wow that crown rosette is really pretty! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really lovely! I've been wanting to learn embroidery for a while now, this posts really inspires me to try for real. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you do try it. And please let me know how you go <3

      Delete
  5. Wow! These are so adorable. I do embroidery myself, but wow those rosettes are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank youu! I'm a complete amateur really, but it's really relaxing and I enjoy it :D

      Delete