Wednesday, 29 July 2015

Coordinating colours (part 2)


Last time I talked about complementary colours but today I want to talk about colours in the print. It's another really easy way to coordinate one or more colours into an outfit. In a way, it's similar to the idea of using complementary colours although you're sticking to the palette of colours in the print.

Jumperskirt: Angelic Pretty, Blouse: Bodyline, Beret: Swimmer, Socks: Offbrand
The more that the colour is used in the print, the more likely it will match your coordinate. My example is Honey Cake by Angelic Pretty. A very common coordinate that I see a lot with this bright colourful print is coordinated with red. You'll be hard-pressed to find outfits with this print that don't try to incorporate red in it. I've done it before and I think it's very cute however; it's also a little overdone.

Jumperskirt: Angelic Pretty, Blouse: Dangerfield, Everything else: Offbrand
What I often try to do is to pick some of the colours in the little details of the print like the little green clover. It's not a prominent colour and at first glance it might even be over looked, but it's there and you can draw attention to it by tying it in as a more prominent colour in your outfit. Here, I have used a dark green cardigan and ribbon to tie in my hair. What do you think?

Jumperskirt: Angelic Pretty, Top: ASOS.com, Everything else: Offbrand
Another colour often overlooked on this popular print is the cute blue and white striped milk cartons and actually it's a really prominently used colour on the print. I picked the stripes as a detail in another outfit with the print which I think immediately added a different flavour to the coordinate. The striped top mimics the stripes on the milk cartons and fits in nicely with the outfit. But this colour isn't used so often in lolita fashion which makes it stand out from the other Honey Cake coordinates.

I kept the above outfits rather simple to try and get my point across. Of course, you can easily add cute little accessories, bags, shoes to add more detail and make a more unique outfit. But I wanted to focus on colour. It's easy to do and can result in some amazing looking coordinates outside the box. I hope you liked my Honey Cake outfits because I has so much fun putting them together!

3 comments:

  1. The green cardigan coordination is my favorite! I think Honey Cake would go nice with brown accessories too, a bit obvious but would bring a more mature feeling. Btw I love your bedding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes! I love the brown mix with honey cake! It always remindsme of chocolate which I LOVE! Thank youuu, the bedding is just from IKEA <3

      Delete
  2. I want that dress.@_@ I have many dresses with chocolate and sweets, but no pancakes.

    ReplyDelete