Sunday, 2 August 2015

Organising and Storing Accessories


I like to keep my living and working space as tidy and organised as I can because it makes for a better looking and more comfortable space for me. For me, it's just so relaxing to come home to a neat space and I'm more efficient when I know exactly where everything is. A discussion recently came up in my local lolita community about how to store accessories neatly. It's always a hassle to pull out necklaces all tangled between themselves or try to find a small brooch a pile of mess. So today I wanted to share with you my tips on how I store my accessories. Maybe you'll find it works for you too. Actually, it's just the one trick, but I think it's pretty good since it works for (almost) everything! 


I bought little clear zip lock bags from a craft shop which sold them in 3 sizes for craft goods and put each item into a separate bag. I picked the small and medium sizes since they were perfect for my accessory collection. Getting the fully transparent ones make it easy to see what you have or what you want to wear. Once separated, you know they won't tangle, get lost or damage each other! They're all so easy to find, pick and choose when coordinating and safely stored.




I then sort my accessories into groups: brooches and pins are all stored in one box, branded and non branded necklaces in two other boxes. When I'm coordinating, I can easily find things and I don't have to make a huge mess trying to get to one specific accessory. Plus these pretty book boxes make brilliant displays on my shelf, which is a definitely bonus in my books! I picked them up at a local stationery shop called Typo a few years back. The Koko Black one comes from the 2015 Easter limited edition collection (only available when you buy the box of chocolates!)


Smaller accessories are stored in this very vintage Hello Kitty mini drawer. My parents bought it for me for my birthday many many moons ago! I used to use it for stationery but since culling my pen collection, this drawer has been handy for storing accessories. Rings, bracelets (of which I have very very few) and earrings each have their own little drawer. The zip lock bag idea is especially useful for earrings since I don't have to waste time rummaging around looking for a pair. They're always stored together!



As for hair acccessories, I put them all into these 2 cute striped cardboard boxes from Ikea. (Actually, the bottom box is full of my beret pancake stack) Yes, I really do love boxes! They look so lovely and store so much stuff making my room look tidy, organised and super cute! It's a bit messy in here but since the headbows and barrettes are quite large, I don't have trouble finding anything. The smaller things like clips and bows are, once again, bagged in clear zip lock bags!


I hope this might inspire you to organise your accessories in a really simple and tidy manner. I found they were a real life saver for me. What are your handy tips for organising and storing things?

6 comments:

  1. I love this! The book boxes look so at home on a shelf and the plastic bag idea is really great. I might steal this for my jewellery, because the way I have it organised now takes up so much space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Steal ahead! I'm just so glad you like the idea :D Thank you and please enjoy organising your jewelleryyy :3

      Delete
  2. Found the one person who is more organized than me! I love your storage ideas, I wish we had Ikea in my country :/ I love their stuff. I live for that Bambi book box, it's so lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? Yess I do love being organised <3 Thank youu! How unfortunate, Ikea is so brilliant for inspiration for storage. :(((

      Delete
  3. J'adore voir comment les autres personnes organisent leurs affaires ! J'utilise aussi els petits sachets transparents ! C'est tellement pratique pour ne pas s'emmêler les pinceaux lorsqu'on veut choisir un bijou en particulier !
    Tes boîtes sont trop adorables !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les petits sachets transparents m’aident beaucoup pour trouver et protéger mes bijoux ! c’est génial que tu fais le même :D Merci pour le commentaire <3

      Delete